10.09.2006

Perverts!



I'm trying to find documentaries on Netflix to round-out my reading for my Western Civ class. The best thing about Netflix, like Amazon, is reading the user reviews. One viewer of a History Channel documentary, "In Search of History: The Greek Gods," warned parents about all the nudity:

"However, most of the male statuary is filmed from the perspective of one looking up at somewhat massive male anatomy and the majority of the females are painted topless. I encourage a parent review the film before showing it to a kid. My twelve-year-old daughter was fascinated by the mythology, but pretty uncomfortable with the artwork."


First of all, explain to me how you make a documentary about ancient Greece without using ancient Greek statues. They didn't exactly leave behind a CD-ROM to help us out. That's what's left! It's all we've got!

Second, do you really want to admit to the rest of the world that you find the male genitals on Greek statues, "massive?" I can't shake the image of Milton Milquetoast in his little suburban shower, staring forlornly down at himself, and wondering if his wife is maybe a little too friendly with Mr. Andronikos down the street.

No comments: