10.31.2006

Another "half" of a weekend


Last weekend I ran the Big Sur Half Marathon for the first time. Since I was knew I would be adding on another hour-long run that afternoon, I decided not to try to beat my time in San Jose and instead just go for something under 2:10. I ended up with a 2:03:51 which is kind of frustrating because if I hadn't had a whopper of a side stich the first three miles I think I could have beaten my San Jose time. I went to the race with two Ironwomen, who were able to drink coffee and eat a banana right before the race. Maybe that's something my body could eventually get used to, but if I try to drink coffee before a race now, I end up doubled-over in pain at the side of the road.

Running alongside Ironwoman #1 for most of the race, I realized I'm losing more time than I thought stopping at the aid stations. JNC almost has me convinced that I should do the US Half Marathon in San Francisco this weekend and one of the reasons I'm tempted is because I'd like to try carrying my own hydration and seeing if I can beat 2:00 again. I also want a chance to run on the Golden Gate again, that was a blast when I ran the first half of the San Francisco marathon in 2005. I also need to get my game face on for crossing the Bixby Bridge at the Big Sur International next April.

No comments: