6.21.2006

When older means more competitive...

When I first started running, I was surprised that the fastest age groups are not the youngest. For most of the recreational runs that I do, the results are far more competitive in the 30-39 and 40-49 age groups than in the 29-and under groups. Theory swapping has led to a couple explanations:

When you're in your twenties, you are more likely to be spending Saturday morning in bed with a pounding hangover than pounding the pavement.

The competitive runners in the under-20 group are competing in high school and college competitions, and not blowing all their energy on small-town road races.

Most runners didn’t get the bug until they were already in their late twenties. I chalk this up to the fact that graduate from college and you start sitting on your butt for eight hours a day right around same time that your metabolism goes to shit. By the time you really learn to love it, you’re pushing 30.

I’m making the most of it while I’m still in the relatively slower group. Next year I’ll have to move into the big leagues – women 30-39!

No comments: