11.30.2006

CLA's Celebrity Playlist

CLA's list really tells the story of her life so far, from teenage concerts in SF to the songs that remind her of her two kids. It's important that you now she is the most hard-core Huey Lewis fan on the planet. The American Lesbian Association threatened to revoke her membership if she didn't put either a Melissa Etheridge or Indigo Girls song on here (I believe she made the right choice). But, seriously, reading CLA's list you realize how popular music is one more way that gays are shut out of the mainstream because all the romantic songs are hetro. Working with CLA and seeing her trying to raise kids in a two-mom family has opened my eyes to a lot of the systemic discrimination against gay parents. They worry about things they shouldn't have to worry about, and it makes me angry just thining about it. Through it all, she keeps an open mind about everyone she meets, and is ready to see the best in them.

Pictured below are CLA and her partner Nurse K and their two kids, Miss Thang and When's Dinner? If they look familiar it's because their picture was splashed all over the national newsapers and the net when they were married in SF City Hall in February, 2003.



Lights
Journey
Captured

Since I grew up in the “Cit-tay by the bay-yay”, I consider this my official anthem. Plus, Journey was one of the first concerts I ever went to, and I remember literally being the stereotype concert goer - waving a lighter in the air, belting out the lyrics with hundreds of other adoring fans.

You Oughta Know
Alanis Morissette
Jagged Little Pill

This song just plain rocks. I love singing it in the car at the top of my lungs, while pretending I’m telling someone off. Free anger management therapy.

Bring Me Some Water
Melissa Etheridge
Melissa Etheridge

Reminds me of how my ex cheated on me…again…and again…and again…Sometimes you need to think about the hard times and this song always takes me right back to my non-happy place.

Smooth
Santana & Rob Thomas
Supernatural

I used to play this all of the time for my daughter in utero …don’t know why. The first time I heard this song after she was born, I cried so hard because I was listening to it “alone” (she was out of the womb), that I had to pull over to weep!

Power of Love
Huey Lewis and the News
Back to the Future Soundtrack

The best song from the best movie by the best group. Ever. Period.







Straight from the Heart
Bryan Adams
Cuts Like a Knife

I would play this entire album over & over after high school. This was my favorite song and I would move the needle across the record to hear this song again & again while doing my homework. (please look up “ancient music makers” in Wikipedia if you don’t understand the words “record” or “needle”)

Shadows on a Dime
Ferron
Shadows on a Dime

The combination of violin and vocals on this song are incredibly moving. This tune also contains my favorite lyrics of all time: I poured my soul in Santa Cruz. I ached all night; next day I lost my shoes. It's so optional what you may or may not lose in this pattern we call time.

Three Little Birds
Bob Marley
Exodus

When I was pregnant with my son, I was very, very worried about something going wrong. I used to sing this line to myself every day: Don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing gonna be all right!" It really worked to calm me down – it’s a perfect mantra.

I’ll Cover You
Jesse L. Martin & Wilson Jermaine Heredia
Rent – Original Broadway Cast

This is one of the most beautiful love songs ever. It makes me teary every time I hear it. The fact that two men sing it to each other just enhances the cry. It helps that Jesse L. Martin has a gorgeous voice – I could listen to him sing the phone book.

Crazy in Love
Beyoncé
Dangerously In Love

At the gym, I do cardio and then drag myself to do the thirty minute circuit. Once I get my sorry butt into the circuit room, I always pump this song on the stereo and listen to it several times. It gets me moving again and, most importantly, I’m proud to know the lyrics to a song recorded within the last 10 years!

No comments: