11.29.2006

What's your celebrity iTunes list?

We've all heard that playlists are the new mix tapes. As part of their promotion of iTunes, Apple came up with the creative idea of having celebrities put together their own playlist with explanations for why each song was included. Thus was born the celebrity iTunes playlist. It's been kind of a hit and miss exercise. It seems like most movie or tv celebrities have their assistants or PR people put the list together because the results are too impersonal and top-40 to be insightful. Musicians, not surprisingly, tend to be more creative. Quite frankly, I don't really care what Mischa Barton or Beyonce are listening to. I'm more interested in what my friends are listening to, and why. So I've asked some of my nearest and dearest to put together their own playlist as the celebrities of my life. With their permission, I'll post the results here.

Instead of linking to the actual iTunes celebrity list page, I'm linking to a Slate article on the subject and also to Kevin Smith's blog post about his own playlist, which was never included because the explanations were deemed "too long."

No comments: