1.08.2007

The Noggin Song

In Newcastle I found a box set of ambient tunes on sale. Ambient is my favorite putzing-around-the-house music. The first CD has one of my favorite songs, “Lovely Head” by the British band Goldfrapp.

Check out the lyrics:

Starts in my belly
then up to my heart
Into my mouth
I can't keep it shut
Do you recognize
the smell?
Is that you how tell
us apart?

I fool myself
to sleep and dream
Nobody's here
No-one but me
So cold
You're hardly there
Why can't this
be killing you?

Frankenstein
would want your mind
Your lovely head
Your lovely head

It sounds overwrought, but when you hear it you can appreciate how marvelous it really is. It’s the phrase, “your lovely head” that really does it for me. Who thought that? It’s not just the mind that is the focus here, but overall cranial appreciation, including skull shape and hair distribution. There should be a new category of music called Silmo. It’s music that’s kind of emo but appealing in a silly way.

No comments: