1.29.2007

Laugh out loud.

Last Friday I went to a showcase of the winners of the San Francisco Comedy Competition. I don't see a lot of live comedy and I was kind of concerned that I might not laugh enough. I know, that's weird. Back in the glory days of cable television, I found that watching stand up brought out, at best, the occasional snort. Not as much snorting as I do when listening to Katie's running commentary as cute guys walk by. But something about seeing comedians perform live makes it so much funnier. I was actually concerned at one point that I may have laughed too loud.

The headliner was, of course, the winner of the competition, Jay Wendell Walker. His style was definitely "old school" in style but modern in content. Jokes about cell phones, jokes about eBay. He was able to spin stuff off the top of his head, playing with jokes from the previous two acts, interacting with people in the audience (this was in Mill Valley, so they really needed a laugh). In person, I have a new appreciation for how tough it must be to perform live comedy. At least if you're acting you don't really know how it's going over because people are supposed to be quiet. okay, they could get up and leave, but chances are, they aren't going to stand up and shout, "You suck!"

No comments: