10.03.2007

The Scientific Christian

Last night I met up with CMW to do a little shopping and have a healthy dinner. Not surprisingly, we ended up sucking down margaritas at Chili's the whole night.* This is pretty much how the entire semester of Professional Responsibility went. We'd show up with the best of intentions, and then look at each other and say, "Margaritas?" Maybe we don't have all the Model Rules memorized, but the important thing is that we supported the economy. And we both passed the bar and haven't been disbarred yet, so we must have done something right.

Another usual thing with CMW and I is to start out with polite chit chat about work and friends and eventually it turns into really heavy meaning-of-life discussions. I enjoy CMW's perspective because she's an engineer and has the most scientific, logical mind of anyone I know. Like a Vulcan in Ann Taylor. Like all rambling, drunken conversations we eventually turned to religion (the immediate precursor to a discussion about sex). CMW and I are both lapsed Catholics who believe that the number of people who believe in Creationism correlates to the lack of emphasis on hard science in public education. We were talking about the difficulty of faith and what we would think about Christianity if we lived in a non-Western country and someone came and pitched us the story of Jesus. CMW pondered the matter of Christianity for a moment, and I could see the left side of her brain churning away, "I suppose it's plausible." she eventually concluded.

*I think this explains my, uh, intense reaction to the Rose Petal Cottage.

No comments: