3.15.2007

Last night CLA and took a class about freelance writing. We had both really been wanting to take a step towards some kind of creative outlet. Hopefully a lucrative creative outlet. She and I both have the experience of reading our favorite magazines and newspapers and seeing the same articles passed around and around. Even more frustrating, they aren’t particularly well written. Of course I have to point out that if I were to actually submit an article for publication in a newspaper or magazine I would try to write much better than what I spew out on this site. Because that would be for money. And this? This is for sanity.

The class ended at 10 but when you’re the Redhead, the evening is just getting started at 10. Ok, I’m usually asleep at 9:30 but on this particular night I was determined to rage because I promised to go to the Chevelle show at the Catalyst. Although I had been worried about being too tired to be in the mood for live music, once I arrived at the club and heard the thumping of the music from outside, I was ready to party. I couldn’t believe how long it had been since I’d seen a band, randomly, in the middle of the week. Although I had an initial spate of partying after the bar exam, since fall it's really been all about getting up early for training runs/rides/whatever and having dinner out with friends. It's been a while since I actually put on the party shoes.

Once I got inside, things seemed a little... odd. That same club smell was there, beer and sweat and way too much weed. But it just seemed really... clear. I read any writing on the wall or near the stage. It was almost like I was somewhere else, just watching the show television. At first I thought it was because it was less smoky than usual. Then I thought maybe I had forgotten to take my glasses off. Nope, I wasn’t wearing glasses and still everything seemed different. I finally realized it was the first time I’d ever been to that venue and been Stone Cold Sober. Back in the day, stopping for a couple drinks before the show was mandatory! Why go out if you're not going to get hammered? But I found I enjoyed myself so much more without the buzz. There are advantages to getting older - like being content to stand near the back and not get bumped into by moshers or sprayed with beer by the band. And waking up the next morning feeling, if not quite "fresh" then at least not hungover.

Unfortunately I only got to hear a few songs because the class got out so late, but if you get a chance to see Chevelle live, check it out.

No comments: