12.11.2006

JNC's Celebrity iTunes Playlist

JNC doesn't remember when we met, but I do. It was in Mr. Grippenstraw's sophomore biology class, and JNC was the only person who got busted more than me. And it was always for the same thing: talking. Eventually we started talking to each other, and we really haven't stopped since. She's come close to being my bridesmaid twice. We've did our post-college Europe backpacking trip together, went to China together, and have taken several trips to Mexico together.

For her birthday this year, I got her the complete episodes of Sex And The City. We're both SATC enthusiasts, although more so the first couple seasons. We were talking about that this weekend, that the first seasons are focused more on how the friendship among these woman outlasts jobs, fashion crises and boyfriends. That's why it felt more real to us, because we recognize that your true partners in life aren't necessarily the romantic ones.

As is typical with JNC, she reviewed the guidelines I sent out for the playlist, read what other people had done, and then pretty much did whatever she wanted.



You know I march to the beat of my own drummer. So here’s my play list – I didn’t follow the rules, it has 6 of my favorite artists – I will download anything by them without know what it sounds like, just because I like them. Then there’s 6 songs that I am rocking out to right now:

6 artists that are on always in heavy rotation:
Biggie Smalls.
I love anything by Biggie. He is a lyrical genius, just listen to what he’s saying the next time you hear one of his songs…. We really lost a brilliant man when he died. I still listen to him because he’s so much more creative than a lot of current artist. Juicy is a particular favorite. Nasty Girl is one of my current ring tones.


Mary J Blige.
Hasn’t everyone listened to MJ when they were going through a break up, or to feel more empowered. I love everything from the 411 to her recent releases. Her heavy drug use years produced some really good music, all that pain made great music.

Prince.
He’s one of the few men who is comfortable enough with who he is to wear heels. And buttless pants. Without him, I wouldn’t know what it sounds like when doves cry.

Thelonius Monk.
When I need to write something persuasive, I listen to Monk. He gets my creative juices flowing. My favorite is a song called two for tea.

John Legend.
He is such a smooth crooner. Most of his CD’s I will listen to straight through. I have seen him perform live, and it’s INSANE. All he needs is a mike. This man has real talent. He has seduction songs, apology songs, celebratory songs. Ahhhh, he’s dreamy.

New Edition.
This is a band I grew up with. I have seen them in concert, and it was AMAZING. These men can perform. I will rock out to everything from popcorn love to their last misguided album on the Bad Boy label. Also, their ability to do solo projects and come back together as a solid group is admirable. These are six of my favorite signers!!!!!

6 songs that I am playing to death right now:
Lloyd and Lil’ Wayne
You

The instrumental of this song is so haunting. Also, there’s something about thuggish Lil’ Wayne rapping about a girl he’s really into that I find strangely alluring. I am always a fan of the collaboration of two artists who seem like they wouldn’t fit together.

Robin Thicke
Wanna Love you girl – the regular and the remix!

Like Prince, this man can squeal. He has an amazing vocal range. I pretty much like anything he signs. Hand him the phone book, and it will probably sound good when he sings it.

Justin Timberlake
My Love

It’s catchy. And he’s yummy, I wish I was Cameron Diaz. Le Sigh.

Beyonce
Irreplaceable

This is another great women’s empowerment song. I am not the biggest Beyonce fan, I prefer Destiny’s Child [I still rock Survivor from time to time] The first time you hear it, you’re like, “to the left, hunh???” . But after listening to it….MAN!!!! This is the new break up song! Or even the new I don’t have to settle for a bad relationship song. My favorite line “I could have another you in a minute”. Yup, sometimes love is like that.

Akon and Eminem
Smak That

There’s a line that just cracks me up….We can just kick it like Tae-bo…..LOL. The beat is great for getting you moving. But when you listen to the lyrics, it’s a little stalkerish.

Akon and Snoop
I wanna love you

This is my theme song on the dance floor. There’s several versions. They range from very clean to so dirty it will make a statue of the Virgin Mary blush. This song will make you shake your rump.

No comments: