7.25.2006

At Target last Sunday afternoon.

Young man examines drop-leaf wood table and chairs. A blonde woman stands behind him, arms crossed. He has a scanner in her hand, the kind that the stores use when you are creating a registry.

Man: “This table would work.”
Silence from the scowling blonde.
Man: “We could get the chairs, too. It would fit right in the dining area.”
Woman: “Eh.”
Man: “I’m registering for it.”
Woman: “Go ahead. I’ll just return it.”
Man: “You say that about everything I want.”
Woman (walking towards the coffeemakers): “And I’ll return everything you want, too.”

After hearing this exchange, I was suddenly filled with warm relief that I didn’t have to compromise on anything I put in my cart. Lavendar scented laundry detergent. Grapefruit-infused dishwashing liquid. A red kitchen timer. Glamour magazine. Bliss.

No comments: